Wednesday, June 4, 2014

The Day I Stopped Considering Myself a Fundamentalist.

I remember the day I stopped considering myself a fundamentalist. I had been a Christian for about 15 years. I had tithed regularly, I showed up every time the doors were open, I set up for and cleaned up after potlucks; every time a volunteer was asked for, my hand went up in the air.

But I began to notice something, and it all came to a head. See, when I came to Christ, a lot was made about the sin nature, and about the need to ask forgiveness from people we had offended. And ask forgiveness I did. For fifteen years, I neatly genuflected before everyone I had offended, I begged their forgiveness, I did everything I could to make it right.

And I noticed something: I was the only one doing it. In now 25 years since coming to Christ, I can honestly, truthfully say this: I have never ONCE had a fellow Christian stand in front of me and truly ask my forgiveness for a wrong they've committed. And, while I've certainly committed my share, the implication of the response is that they consider themselves above reproach and me beneath contempt.

When I speak out, they complain that I offended them, and I'm back to apologizing. Somehow, it always gets spun back to me. And somehow, I always take it.

I'm not saying I don't have responsibility for my actions; I certainly do. All I am saying is that when fellowship is breached, it's usually on the part of two or more parties. Oddly, the same fundamentalists that claim a sin nature seem unwilling to cop to individual sins.

I love the church, and I love Christ. But I'm tired of being the whipping boy. Somehow, I don't think there is a sound spiritual basis for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment