Wednesday, June 11, 2014

On the Road

I have to vent a little at the beginning of this. Oh, I know folks figure I already vent, but they have no idea how much I hold in.

One of the things that frustrates me more than anything in the church is the lack of fellowship. I once had it; I've given up hope of every truly having it again. In part because every word I say is scrutinized, criticized, and overinterpreted. If you're judging every word coming out of my mouth, I have to wonder how you can say you aren't judging me. I don't see how you can separate the two.

A hint on the above statement: if you think it's about you, message me. I'd be glad to discuss it. But for the love of Pete, DON'T gossip about what it "might" mean.

At any rate, I guess it's only fair to clarify my position on church compassion. The truth is, the church is amazingly, abundantly compassionate...to the parts of the community with which they are comfortable. They don't function well outside of their comfort zone.

I should amend that to say WE don't function well outside of our comfort zone, as I'm not so hot at it myself. But I'd like to try.

Let's face it, if God sends an "angel unaware" to us as a stranger, a sojourner, it's not likely to be soeone with whom we are comfortable. Most likely the opposite.

I had an encounter not long ago that gives a good idea what I am saying. A couple was hitching to Dalhart. As I got their story, they had stopped by the Chamber and asked for help; the Chamber sent them down the road, as Dalhart's ministerial alliance was better equipped to assist them.

Now first let me say, the Chamber was not in the wrong. Our ministerial alliance is stretched nearly to our limit due to our position on a major highway. But I can't help but wonder somehow if we couldn't do more. For my part, I gave them a ride to Dalhart and meal money, but I do wonder if there wasn't something more we could do.

Maybe that should be a challenge: go out this week and help someone you really don't want to help. See what happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment