Friday, June 13, 2014

Judge Not.

I know we all like to believe we are compassionate. But I also believe we conveniently redefine "compassion" so that we aren't indicted by our own words. And I think we're treading in very dangerous waters when we do so.

Most Christians are amazingly, even overwhelmingly, compassionate, when it involves people they know, or even within their community. I have seen this firsthand, and will defend that statement to my death. But something happens when its somewhat outside of their comfort zone.

I am discovering this firsthand. Economic necessity has forced me to either abandon my career field (IT) entirely, or "take the show on the road", as it were. I have found the most efficient way to do this is to book a job several hours out, drive in to the area, stay there 3-5 days and solicit other work, and return home at week's end. I can't afford a hotel, so our trusty van is my home during these sojourns.

Constant exposure to the elements leaves me a little ragged by the end of the trip; limited hygiene options and poor quality sleep only enhance the experience. Truthfully, there is nothing more comfortable than my own bed at the end of the trip, and I have emerged from the trips physically and mentally exhausted.

But it has been a good experience; not only does it familiarize me with the struggles of the homeless that many take for granted, it helps me to hold a lens to how our society as a whole operates. How, in a region of the nation where the vast majority self identify as Christian, I can walk miles along a busy highway and have noone turn a second glance. How people will avoid me in public places, and how the general charm of the citizens of the area disappears in my presence.

Sure, they are likely too busy with other things. But truthfully, so were the priest and the Levite in the parable of the Good Smaritan. The implication Jesus makes in this parable is that their busy-ness is not an excuse for inaction.

I stated recently that when Hebrews 13:2 states that by entertaining strangers, we are often entertaining angels unaware, we need to keep in mind that the "angel unaware" is more likely to be someone that repulses us than it is someone that attracts us. And that we need to step outside of our comfort zone in service.

I often get a bad rap by folks who think I am hypercritical. But I want you to understand: I am saying these things out of love. You won't hear this from all but a select few pastors, and most people in church drop their money in the plate, and when they encounter the realities of homelessness and poverty, they mistakenly believe they've done enough. But Jesus did not command us to "go and give"; he commanded us to "go and DO".

I understand the busy-ness, believe me. But as believers, we should stop using the busy-ness of this world as an excuse to not attend to the business of the kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment