Thursday, May 29, 2014

An Interesting Post on the State of Worship in the church

I read a very interesting article on modern worship in the Church. The article asked the question, "Are We Headed For A Crash? Reflections On The Current State of Evangelical Worship".

There were some very good thoughts in this article. Below are my comments and opinion on what is going on within the church. I believe that it goes beyond the worship stage; that what is going on onstage only REFLECTS the audience:

There is a much bigger issue here as I see it, and one that is, quite frankly, killing the church.

But I have been preaching to brick walls on this for over a decade.

Someone like me will always be a somewhat marginal musician. I can make a "joyful noise", but loathe highly overprocessed performance. I prefer the simplicity of plain worship. I prefer action over fundraising, and a church in motion.

What I have found is "no room at the inn". I've never been welcome on a worship team (although, to be fair, I WAS on a choir once), and my offerings both of praise and of service are turned away at the altar. After years of this, I've grown weary and frustrated and turned away from the organized church. And when I first reached out, somewhat cynically, I found I am not alone.

The "evangelical church" is, in my opinion, an army that is shooting soldiers where they stand. An organization that, instead of developing the talents within, looks outside to "professionals" who may or may not have made sincere professions of faith, both on the worship "stage", and in  the back office. It has put the money changers INSIDE of the temple!

If the church needs to know what is wrong with the church in America, in my opinion, she need only look within.

If you care, genuinely CARE about the Bride of Christ, you will stop focusing on divisive political and social issues and fix the church itself. The fancy stage has become nothing more than a bleached sepulchre in many churches, and the stench of spiritual death and decay is ignored for the fancy window dressings. It's past time to change that!

No comments:

Post a Comment