Monday, May 12, 2014

The Church of Jonah

I am often amazed and astonished by God's perfect timing in the lives of His people. I shouldn't be, because I've seen so much, but every once in awhile, something happens to floor me. This past weekend (see the previous article) was no exception.

As I was doing some personal thinking, I took a walk alongside an arroyo. At one point I found a large rock, and sat there overlooking the arroyo. Sitting there, exposed in the sun made me think of Jonah's response after Nineveh's repentance, and it got me to thinking.

For as long as I've been a Christian, every pretrib fellowship I've been a part of (and most have been pretrib) has focused on the imminent return of Christ. Going back to the seventies, the pattern continues. You can go back further, but you get the point: a large percentage of the church has been preaching that Jesus could return any day, and a massive franchise has built up around it.

Looking at myself, I realized that this has personally made me so world weary that I actually spend time ANTICIPATING the end of the world, almost taking a sick pleasure in the destruction of those who didn't come to repentance. This when my attitude should be the polar opposite, and my actions if I think Jesus is going to return tomorrow should be little different than if He is going to tarry another thousand years: Go and make disciples.

It's hard for me to project my thoughts on others, but I really wonder if this attitude isn't a bit more widespread. Instead of focusing on the Great Commission and the Great Commandment, we're setting up a seat in a high place waiting for the fire and brimstone. Certainly the prevalence of doomsday preppers and militia would bear this out.

I have heard several people speculate we're in a post Christian era. That may be so, but it may be that our focus has been so much on the endgame that we've forgotten where we are. Instead of answering the very real, very tough questions of those who criticize the faith, we're sizing up our passport photos for the great voyage beyond.

Living for today and having no thought for tomorrow is consistent with the words of Christ, and it should be consistent with our lives as well. Instead of dancing on the eve of destruction, perhaps we need to return to being the hands and feet of Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment