Tuesday, December 29, 2015

If We Make It Through December

WARNING: DO NOT READ if you feel that venting is the same as whining, or if you are inclined to condemn rather than console. I'm really not in the mood!

When I came to a saving faith in Christ back in 1988, I would describe myself as being a very enthusiastic convert. In the intervening years, a lot of the enthusiasm changed, but has not waned.

But right now, sitting here today, I am asking myself where the church is. Not just for me; my needs do not matter...but for the hurting world around me that we are called to serve.

I've heard miraculous stories of how someone was in need and that need was suddenly and inexplicably met by someone who didn't know them, or that need. I've heard that, but honestly rarely seen that. Yes, I have seen needs provided for, but never in the miraculous, mysterious manner we so often hear about. It is enough that I understand the skeptics' questioning the existence of God.

As I sit here typing this, we are in a world of turbulent financial uncertainty. We're planning a move, and we know that tax time is less than three months away (sooner, if our W2s get in time). But holidays and medical expenses have depleted our already lean emergency funds (our holiday spending was quite modest -- about $25 per person, but our shopping trip included an unexpected stay way from home due to some wild and unforecast weather....then the medical emergencies hit!)

But still, I know the God in whom I put my trust is able -- and I know that we will get through this, as everything else. I am finding it impossible to obtain work locally at any wage, and if it weren't for my wife's income, we would not have had a Christmas at all. In about 2 weeks' time, I will be staying 120 miles from home while I seek out work down there. Anything to keep the lights on.

But I'm honestly wondering about those "miracles". As I have driven a good amount, I've noticed people are less and less inclined to pull over for someone in need. We allow cynicism to guide our decisions rather than humanity, and it is small wonder why people are finding the Church as less and less an answer to their spiritual questions.

I am realizing in the midst of this that it is impossibly easy to be homeless in this culture. Yet we give token compassion to the homeless, we show up for photo op feeds on holidays and give our canned beets to the food banks thinking that our work is done. Yet somewhere between homeless and lower class, there exist scores of people for whom a major medical expense would be devastating. Our family is not one of those, but we're closer than I'd ever hoped to be.

The Merle Haggard song, "If We Make It Through December" seems stunningly appropriate right now.

Still, the heaters are running and we're able to keep the home modestly comfortable. But when those utility bills hit, it won't be quite so rosy. I don't even want to imagine what it's like for those worse off.

But I do, because I remember it is those people I am called to serve.

So have a blessed 2016 -- I know I will. But let's resolve this next year to focus less on the material and more on what matters. There are lives that hang in the balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment