Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Voices Longing to be Heard

I have really wrestled for awhile with what is bugging me about the state of the church today, and ultimately it comes down to the fact that I feel that so many Christian ministers are not listening to the voices of the needy that they are called to serve.

In fact, in my experiences with Occupy, I found that to be an overarching theme. In Dallas, people lined up for hours just for a chance to tell their stories.

But what my latest experience has done is reminded me that often what we see wrong with the church reflects our own personal failings. Yes, many ministers are disconnected; I will not recant that statement.

But what I am increasingly becoming convinced of is the fact that I am increasingly disconnected. In living on the road and depending on public facilities to clean up and change, and on roadside parking, it is becoming clear to me there's a lot of work that needs doing, and people need to be out and about doing it.

More specifically, I need to be out and about doing it.

I've figured out the what; I'm just clamoring to understand the how. I'm picking up a bit of it, but I have so, so much further to go. The "High Tech Migrant" is a good start, and I hope that if I am in your area you will patronize my business in the knowledge I am using it to do something important. But there is more to do.

The biggest thing to get past is the fear. I cannot even begin to describe how all consuming that is. I am having to reject a lot of strongly held beliefs to do this, and I'm cast into an area of doubt and uncertainty. In fact, the ONLY certainty I have is of the one who holds my future.

I set out on this as a way to support my family. And it's working; albeit with some uncertainty (which, to be sure, was present even before I hit the road). But I am discovering a lot more. And, I think more clearly seeing what I need to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment