Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Am I Doing It Wrong?

I had a "moment" today. I have those from time to time.

It was 100 degrees, and here I was stubbornly fighting with a jack to change a tire over blistering asphalt. A situation not pleasant in the best of circumstances, and made less so when your resources are painfully low and you are simply trying to get to the next job.

I really sometimes question whether or not I am a fool for holding the positions I do. For trying to hold out against a world that insists my only value is in the bottom line of my bank account. And as I am seeing more and more of my fellow Christians drawn into the net and finding material success, it's very easy to ask myself if I'm doing it wrong.

It's also misguided.

I think of the simple theology that's often found in the old hymns that the church usually discards for the latest worship CD. Quite specifically, of the old hymn "Count Your Blessings":


Count your blessings, name them one by one

The wobbling in the car wasn't a suspension problem, or worse. It was a tire whose tread was separating

Count your blessings see what God has done

The tread separated near a widening of the road so that the tire change was not done less than a full sized bed's distance from a semi trailer

Count your blessings, name them one by one


We had adequate resources to replace the tire. That's not always the case.

And it will surprise you what the Lord has done

It was me driving, and not my daughter on the expressway through OKC.

Yup, works every time.

Maybe I'm NOT doing it wrong. Maybe my perspective is wrong!

No comments:

Post a Comment