Sunday, January 1, 2012

Thoughts on the New Year

A new year has begun. The nation is in political conflict, 1.5 million Americans are homeless, 27.7% of US children live below the poverty line, and nearly 48% of Americans live at or near the poverty line.

It sounds bleak, and, indeed, positive news and positive thoughts are in short supply. If I were to go from empirical observation I wuld say that less than 10% of the people I have encountered believe that on January 1, 2013 we will look back on the year in positive reflection.

But it does not have to be that way. While I myself have questions and doubts on what the coming year will bring, I can say one thing with certainty: if we all believe that the coming year will be negative, it will be.

I do realize certain things happen that are beyond our control. Sickness, famine, natural disasters, wars. But these things all happen in good years and bad. And while there is a temptation to mourn what we have lost, it is our choice to celebrate new opportunities and new beginnings.

To that end, I am personally making the following declarations for the New Year. Not resolutions, I don't believe in those, but a declaration I can use as a benchmark next January:

--I will be salt and light in 2012. While we may curse the darkness, it is imperative to understand that the darkest hours are when the light is most needed.

--I will endeavor to the best of my ability to embrace adversity for the challenges it brings and not shun adversity for the sake of my own comfort.

--I will work passionately to be the hands and feet of Jesus, actively and passionately seeking opportunities to serve, to build, to nurture and to heal.

--I will not knowingly allow a single person to pass by my door with a need without attempting to fill it. If I cannot fill it, I will attempt to find someone who can.

--I will focus on others and not self in the coming year. While I will not focus on self denial, I will place my wants below the needs of others.

--I will work diligently to encourage others to maintain a positive focus and work to make a better and brighter future.

In closing, I would like to leave you with the following words of encouragement:

3 Not only so, but we[a] also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; 4 perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5 And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us. --Romans 5:3-5 NIV

Be blessed and let's embrace every day we have as a challenge that we will rise to accept.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that when we see a need, we should do everything within our power to fill it--especially those of fellow Christians! Didn't Jesus charge us to care for (love) one another? Great scripture for the first day of 2012, too. May we all succeed (be resolute) with this type of declaration for the new year!

    ReplyDelete